Social Media Intern (Nepalese national only) – UNICEF Regional Office for South Asia
Job no: 532613
Position type: Internship
School/Unit: Regional Services Div (SAR), Kathmandu
Department/Office: Reg Serv – Comm. Section, Kathmandu
Categories: Communication / External Relations, Internship
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
UNICEF South Asia, through effective support to country offices and strategic engagement with partners, contributes to winning support for the cause of children from decision-makers and the wider public particularly on key priority issues in South Asia. This includes providing technical assistance, capacity building, and coordination to enhance digital advocacy in the region.
In the past few years, UNICEF South Asia has achieved an unprecedented reach and engagement through its social media platforms with more than 2 million followers. Many of our audiences not only seek information but are willing to have important conversations on crucial issues concerning children’s wellbeing and rights. Our strategic focus is to ensure greater understanding and participation and meaningful engagement with our online audiences such as young people, parents, political influencers across the region. This also provides us an opportunity to win our audiences’ support for the cause of children in South Asia.
Objective of Internship:
The purpose of this internship is to find a bright, motivated social media intern for a 6-month period starting September 2020 to help us have deeper conversations with our online audiences and a greater impact for children. This internship will provide the successful candidate exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and also a better understanding of UNICEF’s mandate to safeguard the rights of every child, everywhere.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
Working directly under the supervision of the Regional Chief of Communication, the intern will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
- Support the communication section to coordinate, monitor, and manage direct communications on UNICEF South Asia’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram channels. The intern will work with the Social Media Consultant to develop relevant responses to frequently asked questions for communication campaigns about education, health, nutrition, water and sanitation, gender, and humanitarian emergencies.
- Assist the communication section to work with program sections to map political, government, and corporate influencers in South Asian countries in order to ensure targeted communications and have a greater impact on children.
- Design digital assets such as photos, videos and infographics for use in communications campaigns.
- Help identify current social media trends and topics especially on issues concerning children and adolescents in South Asia.
- Support the growth of UNICEF South Asia Twitter and Instagram channels through list building and monitoring performance.
- Help employ community management best practices to encourage young people, parents and advocates to participate in social media discussions, increase their understanding of our work for children and guide their journey to other UNICEF-owned channels.
- Assist the communication section with additional tasks as required.
- The intern will work part-time (four days a week) in the Regional Office of South Asia in Kathmandu, Nepal. The intern will work on a computer provided by the office. The candidate selected will be governed by and subject to UNICEF’s General Terms and Conditions for interns.
- An accrual of 2.5 days per month to be used as annual leave, emergency leave, or uncertified sick leave.
- As an intern, you will respect the confidentiality of information that you collect or are exposed to at UNICEF. No reports or papers may be published based on information obtained from UNICEF without the explicit written authorization by the Head of Office or Division Director.
- The UNICEF internship program is not connected with employment and there is no expectancy of such. Interns cannot apply for posts advertised internally to UNICEF staff during the period of internship.
- Recently completed or currently pursuing a University Degree in English, communication, journalism, creative writing, politics, social science or a similar discipline
- Work Experience:
- Strong communication skills, written English skills and ability to write clearly, succinctly and for varying audiences
- Knowledge of standard MS Office applications and other computer skills
- A keen and proven interest/knowledge in social media and other creative web applications
- Experience using design software such as Adobe Creative Suite to edit photos and create videos
- Knowledge of and interest in South Asia news is an asset
- Good research and analytical skills
- Knowledge of child rights principles is an asset or willingness to learn
- Previous experience working in digital communications or for international organizations highly desirable
C. Language Proficiency:
- Fluent in English written and spoken
Duration: 6 months starting from 21 September 2020 to 20 March 2021 (four days a week)
To apply this job CLICK HERE
Find more job Click here